Guidelines for using the LC Online Shelflist and formulating a literary author number
Before accessing the Literary Author Number Proposal Form. NACO libraries may use LC's online shelflist via the Web for purposes of formulating a LC classification number when requesting an 053 for inclusion in a name authority record. BIBCO libraries may browse the online shelflist to assist in assigning an LC Classification number to bibliographic records they create or update. Below are instructions for searching:
After accessing the LC Online Catalog
- Select Basic Search
- In the Search Type box, select Expert Search (use index codes and operators)
- Type in the index code "05XX" and then the classification number to be searched followed by a question mark (truncation mark):
- Example: 05XX PQ8180?
- For a more specific search put the classification number to be searched in quotes:
- Example: 05XX "PQ8180.13?"
- In order to search for works entered under uniform titles use the index code "05UT" preceding the class number. It will provide a display which includes the uniform title.
- Example: 05UT PQ6329?
Additional information about Expert Search appears on the Basic Search Tips section on the lower portion of the page.
After identifying the area in which the author number should be placed, use the Cutter table as a guide to finish developing the author number, keeping in mind that an alphabetical arrangement must be maintained within the class.