The Program for Cooperative Cataloging (PCC) is one of two cooperative cataloging ventures. The PCC is an international cooperative effort aimed at expanding access to library collections by providing useful, timely, and cost-effective cataloging that meets mutually-accepted standards of libraries around the world. The PCC seeks to be a democratic and diverse organization whose mission and goals are determined by its membership. Members govern the programs through participation in program events, standing committees, training and task groups.
Read more about the PCC
PCC programs include:
Monographic Bibliographic Record Cooperative Program (BIBCO)
Members contribute high quality bibliographic records that conform to approved standards.
Cooperative Online Serials Program (CONSER)
Members create high quality bibliographic records for serials and integrating resources that conform to approved standards.
Name Authority Cooperative Program (NACO)
Members input authority records for personal, corporate, and jurisdictional names; uniform titles; and series headings to the LC/NACO Authority File.
Subject Authority Cooperative Program (SACO)
Members propose LCSH subject headings and LCC classification numbers to the Library of Congress.
What's New, Decisions, Policies, and Guidelines
- PCC Guidelines for Creating Bibliographic Records in Multiple Character Sets, June 14, 2016 [PDF: 314 KB]
- PCC SCS FRBR-LRM Review April 25, 2016 [PDF 52 KB]
- PCC Linked Data Advisory Committee: Charge April 2016 [Word 28KB]
- PCC SCS Task Group on the Work Entity Background and Charge April 2016 [Word 20KB]
- Charge for PCC Task Group on Identity Management in NACO April 2016[PDF 74KB]
- Charge for PCC Task Group on URIs in MARC October 2015
RDA and PCC
- RDA Guidelines and Standards: PCC authority and bibliographic guidelines for RDA
- RDA information and resources from LC: summaries of recent RDA Toolkit updates and LC-PCC PS updates, documentation and other news
- RDA Refreshers September 2015
- RDA Task Groups
PCC and BIBFRAME
- Announcement: Library of Congress Announces Report and Assessment of its First BIBFRAME Pilot (June 17, 2016)
- PCC BIBFRAME Task Group draft charge (Word, 25 KB)
- Linked Data for Production (LD4P) (external link) a collaborative project to transition technical services production workflows to workflows based in Linked Open Data (LOD)
- Statement on the Library of Congress’ Position With Respect to BIBFRAME Development (March 11, 2016)
- Announcement: PCC and LC Support BIBFRAME
- BIBFRAME and the PCC BIBFRAME resources of interest to the PCC community
- In support of its mission and goals, the Program for Cooperative Cataloging conducts specialized training and mentoring for participants and non-members in a freely-available online format, as well as in conjunction with professional meetings and conferences. The Cataloger's Learning Workshop (CLW) page is the PCC's training portal. It includes a wealth of training materials in all formats for all members of the library community.
- Links to PCC RDA training material on the CLW site and links to LC supplemental RDA training material are available from: RDA Training
- PCC Instructor Report Form is provided for instructors who conduct training on behalf of the PCC. Please fill out the form to report each separate training event you have conducted during the current fiscal year (e.g., October 1, 2015 - September 30, 2016). The PCC Secretariat uses the information gathered from the report form to capture PCC training statistics. Instructors may request Certificate of Appreciation by filling out the report form. Note: please do not use the report form for training conducted within your institution.
Top Resources and Forms
- SACO proposals
- BIBCO Standard Record (BSR)
- NACO guidelines for BFM
- CONSER Standard Record documentation
- PCC Training Events Evaluation Form
Join the PCC
PCC members participate in programs that shape the future of cataloging and reduce the costs of cataloging for everyone.
- Member benefits
- Member responsibilities
- Vision, Mission, and Strategic Directions January 2015-December 2017 [PDF; 530 KB]
Read more about joining the PCC
Upcoming Meetings and Events
ALA Annual 2016
June 23-28, 2016
Locate essential PCC reports and meeting summaries
- PoCo Meeting Outcomes November 2015 [Word, 60 KB]
- Report on Available Linked Data Training Resources September 2015 (revised April 22, 2016) [Word 26KB]
PCC Organization & Governance
The Program for Cooperative Cataloging seeks to be a democratic and diverse organization whose mission and goals are determined by its membership. Members govern the programs through participation in program events, standing committees, and task groups.
- Governance, committees, and task forces
- Standing Committees
- Governance Document (Word, 130 KB)
- Vision, Mission, and Strategic Directions January 2015-December 2017 (PDF; 530 KB)
- Task Groups
- Funding structure
PCC members keep up online with the latest program information on training, standards, and policies